What happens when you build a housing development and then 6 years later you find unexploded artillery shells on the property? Perhaps it might have been a clue that the property was once called the Benicia Arsenal and that during World War II it was an artillery range?
Prior to 1990, the Tourtelot Property consisted of approximately 220 acres of undeveloped grassland situated in the northwest corner of the former Benicia Arsenal. The Army leased the Tourtelot Property from 1944 to 1960 for artillery testing, ordnance and explosives (OE) demilitarization, and demolition of damaged and obsolete munitions. In 1990, Granite Management Corporation (Granite) began grading the site for home construction. In 1996, Granite found concrete-filled howitzer shells and live ordnance on the site. Granite then retained the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to characterize the site for OE and chemical impacts to soil and groundwater. Contaminants on the Tourtelot Property included: petroleum hydrocarbons; polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons; dioxins/furans (combustion by-products); volatile organic compounds; trinitrotoluene; and OE. Continue reading “Benicia CA – TOURTELOT PROPERTY (48970005) Housing on unexploded shells on Gunnery range”→
Tyco, previously known as Raychem is an electronic manufacturer. Raychem had a hazardous waste facility permit and closed its hazardous waste management units. DTSC has been overseeing corrective action at Tyco under a corrective action consent agreement. The main contaminant is PCBs. Soil removal was completed to industrial levels. LUC has been entered into and filed with County. Tyco is currently conducting long term groundwater monitoring.
[VIEW COVENANT] 1/19/2007 For some strange reason, the state website does not list the site management requirements but if you click on the View Covenant you can read what is required, this is a deed restriction.
1.2. Raychem Corporation, the Covenantor’s predecessor, manufactured hightechnology plastic and electrical insulation products. It also engaged in management of hazardous waste pursuant to a hazardous waste facility permit issued by the California Department of Health Services, the predecessor agency of the Department. The hazardous waste facility permit allowed Raychem Corporation to operate a wastewater treatment system, a hazardous waste storage yard and a potassium ferrocyanide tank farm. On January 9, 1997, the Department approved the closure activities of the aboveground portions of these hazardous waste management units. Raychem Corporation proceeded with corrective action under the Department’s oversight to address the release of hazardous waste in soil and groundwater. Raychem merged with the Covenantor in 1999. The Covenantor has conducted corrective action at the Property under the Department’s oversight, including removal of contaminated soil, installation of an engineered multi-media cap over an area of subsurface contamination and groundwater monitoring. Continue reading “Menlo Park – Facebook Headquarters resides on the TE CONNECTIVITY (CAD009125527) HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY”→
“Tyco, previously known as Raychem, is an electronics manufacturer. Raychem had a hazardous waste facility permit and closed its hazardous waste management units at this site. DTSC has been overseeing corrective action at Tyco under a corrective action consent agreement. The main contaminant is PCBs. Soil removal was completed to industrial levels. A land use covenant has been entered into and filed with County. Tyco is currently conducting long term groundwater monitoring.”
ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED WHICH DISTURB THE REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS WITHOUT APPROVAL
DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED
HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED
LAND USE COVENANT
MAINTAIN MONITORING OF GROUNDWATER
NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL
NO EXCAVATION OR ACTIVITIES WHICH DISTURB THE SOIL BELOW A SPECIFIED DEPTH (SEE COVENANT FOR DEPTH) WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF A SOIL MANAGEMENT PLAN
NO GROUNDWATER EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH WITHOUT APPROVAL
NO OIL OR GAS EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH
NOTIFY AFTER CHANGE OF PROPERTY OWNER
NOTIFY DAMAGES TO REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS UPON DISCOVERY
NOTIFY PRIOR TO CHANGE IN LAND USE
NOTIFY PRIOR TO DEVELOPMENT
NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK
ONLY EXTRACTION OF GROUNDWATER FOR SITE REMEDIATION PERMITTED
PERFORM H&S PLAN PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK
PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED
RAISING OF FOOD PROHIBITED
RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED
POTENTIAL CONTAMINANTS OF CONCERN
As a result of historical operations at the Property, certain hazardous materials, including volatile organic compounds, semi-volatile organic compounds, PCBs, dioxins and dibenzofurans were released into the soil and groundwater at the Property.
“Naval Station Treasure Island (NSTI) is located in San Francisco Bay (Bay), midway between San Francisco and Oakland, California. The facility consists of two contiguous islands: Treasure Island (TI), which is approximately 550 acres, and Yerba Buena Island (YBI), which is approximately 550 acres. Stormwater outfalls and offshore sediments (Site 13) encompass approximately 563 additional acres. Treasure Island is a manmade island that is anchored to a natural rock island (YBI), that was constructed of materials dredged from the Bay in 1936. The island was developed to be the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition. In response to a Navy request, in 1941, the City of San Francisco leased TI to the Navy for the duration of World War II. After the war, the city agreed to transfer the deed for TI to the Navy in exchange for government-owned land south of San Francisco where the San Francisco International Airport was later built. TI provided administrative and support facilities for processing Pacific-bound naval personnel, and for the administrative operations of other Navy, Marine Reserves, and non-military Federal activities. Military activities at YBI date back to 1866. In 1993, NSTI was designated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1990. The base was closed on September 30, 1997, and is currently in the transfer process.
In April 1988, a Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection (PA/SI) Report of the facility was prepared for the Naval Energy and Environmental Support Activity (NEESA). Based on information from historical records, aerial photos, agency contacts, field inspection, and personnel interviews, a total of 20 areas were identified with potential contamination and for additional site investigation. These identified acres included: a medical clinic; a former foundry; a boiler plant; an old bunker; stormwater outfalls; a refuse transfer area; a car hobby shop; an oil recovery waste facility; a seaplane maintenance shop; an exchange service station; a hydraulic training school; a painting shop; two storage shed areas; a landfill; and fire training fuel tank releases. During subsequent investigations additional sites were identified that brought the total number of sites to 33. Contaminants include: low-level radioactive waste, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, pesticides, paints, waste oil and fuel, solvents, asbestos, acids, and heavy metals.
Since closure of the base in 1997, nearly all of TI has been leased to the City of San Francisco for a variety of uses including movie production, an elementary school and daycare center, approximately 750 rental housing units, and an Olympic sailing school at Clipper Cove. In addition, 35 acres were transferred to the Federal Department of Labor for the establishment of a job corps center on TI. Portions of YBI were also transferred to the State to facilitate the construction of the new East Bay Bridge. The remainder of the land on YBI is comprised of housing that is controlled by the City of San Francisco and a U.S. Coast Guard Station that occupies the southern half of the island.
EnviroStor includes separate profiles for 13 of the 33 sites that provide the current, ongoing and projected activities for each site. The previous reports and historical documents for these 13 sites were retained in this basewide profile. The 13 sites are: Site 6 – Fire Training School (4.54 acres, EnviroStor # 60001091) Site 8 – Army Point Sludge Disposal Area (3.12 acres, EnviroStor # 60001161) Site 11 – YBI Landfill (2.88 acres, EnviroStor # 60001162) Site 12 – Old Bunker Area (93.2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001092) Site 21 – Vessel Waste Oil Recovery Area (2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001093) Site 24 – Dry Cleaning Facility (20.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001094) Site 27 – Clipper Cove (19.55 acres, EnviroStor # 60001095) Site 28 – West Side On/Off Ramp (10.53 acres, EnviroStor # 60001096) Site 29 – East Side On/Off Ramp (15.13 acres, EnviroStor # 60001164) Site 30 – Day Care Center (1.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001097) Site 31 – Former South Storage Yard (2.02 acres, EnviroStor # 60001098) Site 32 – Former Training and Storage Area (2.6 acres, EnviroStor # 60001099) Site 33 – Water Line Replacement Area (4.89 acres, EnviroStor # 60001100)
“In 2014, Don Wadsworth, radiation specialist, a Navy subcontractor and now whistleblower, told NBC Bay Area We Investigate reporter Vicki Nguyen that an object the Navy photographed at 1101 Bigelow Court was a million times above the EPA limits for human toleration. However, in its 2014 Historical Radiological Assessment Supplemental Technical Memorandum (HRASTM), Figure 10, the Navy documents only this photograph of one radioactive object at 1101 Bigelow Court. Despite the Navy’s disclaimer, imagine this radioactive object multiplied 1,280 times. That is the total number of radiological objects Treasure Island Environmental Project Manager cited in March 2018 that the Navy located between 2006 and 2018. At the Hunters Point Shipyard, a single “deck marker” like this one is slowing down or halting a $8 billion development.“
“At the March 2018 Treasure Island Restoration Advisory Board meeting, remediation project manager Dave Clark “recollected” that, between 2006 and 2016, the Navy unearthed 1,280 radiological objects, one for every two residents.”
Article contains many videos relating to the disaster, the last video in particular shows the radioactive lake created in the cleanup and the signs by the Navy warning of the radioactive site.