he Site was formerly identified as two properties: 901 Thompson Place and 902 Thompson Place. These properties have been re-developed and now have a single address: 875 East Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, California (see site location map). Land use in this area is primarily industrial and commercial. The 901-902 Thompson Place property was formerly occupied by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) to manufacture integrated semiconductor circuits between 1969 and 1992. Two below-ground acid neutralization system (ANS) tank vaults were located at the northern and southern ends of the 901 and 902 Thompson Place buildings, respectively. The ANS tanks for both 901 and 902 Thompson Place were constructed of coated concrete and were used to contain acidic industrial wastewater that was neutralized by adding caustics before discharging to the sanitary sewer. The wastewater also contained volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Soil and groundwater investigations were conducted by AMD in 1983 and 1984 to assess the impact of releases from both ANS structures. The results of these investigations indicated the presence of VOCs in soil and groundwater samples collected from the area near the ANS structures. Both ANSs and surrounding VOC-affected soils were removed between 1983 and 1992. Groundwater extraction and treatment was conducted from 1983 until December 2002. In situ biological treatment of VOCs in groundwater and saturated soil has been conducted since 2002 and is ongoing.
Soil impacted primarily by VOCs was excavated from source areas ANS-901 and ANS-902 over three separate excavation events. The relatively low VOC concentrations in monitoring wells within the uppermost water bearing zone (approximately 10 to 20 feet bgs), where TCE concentrations have generally been less than 100 g/L down-gradient of the former ANS-901 source area, suggest that no substantial source for TCE exists in unsaturated zone soil at the Site.
The San Francisco Chronicle Site consists of an 80,000 square feet newspaper printing plant with a surrounding asphalt parking area. The Site occupies a 6.25 acre property located at 1901 Cesar Chavez Street (formerly Army Street) in San Francisco. It was occupied in the 1930s by the American Smelting and Refining Company under the Federated Metals Corporation name, Federated-Fry Metals Plant. The facility was used for brass ingot and lead production; materials used included brass and bronze scrap metals, oxide of tin and lead, and pure forms of these materials. Oxides formed during the melting process were taken off in the form of slags and were either recycled or hauled offsite. The property was acquired by the San Francisco Newspaper Agency in 1987. The existing structures on site were demolished and a new printing plant and a surrounding parking area were built at the site. Continue reading “SAN FRANCISCO NEWSPAPER AGENCY (38330104)”→
What happens when you build a housing development and then 6 years later you find unexploded artillery shells on the property? Perhaps it might have been a clue that the property was once called the Benicia Arsenal and that during World War II it was an artillery range?
Prior to 1990, the Tourtelot Property consisted of approximately 220 acres of undeveloped grassland situated in the northwest corner of the former Benicia Arsenal. The Army leased the Tourtelot Property from 1944 to 1960 for artillery testing, ordnance and explosives (OE) demilitarization, and demolition of damaged and obsolete munitions. In 1990, Granite Management Corporation (Granite) began grading the site for home construction. In 1996, Granite found concrete-filled howitzer shells and live ordnance on the site. Granite then retained the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to characterize the site for OE and chemical impacts to soil and groundwater. Contaminants on the Tourtelot Property included: petroleum hydrocarbons; polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons; dioxins/furans (combustion by-products); volatile organic compounds; trinitrotoluene; and OE. Continue reading “Benicia CA – TOURTELOT PROPERTY (48970005) Housing on unexploded shells on Gunnery range”→
The property is owned by the Ohlone Community College District and is located southeast of the intersection of Mowry Avenue and Cherry Street in Newark, Alameda County, California. The Site is southeast of the George M. Silliman Recreation Complex, south of an Agilent Tech facility and Cherry Street, west of a drainage channel and north of an existing railroad line. A High School is located to the north across Cherry Street. The site has been used for agriculture since at least 1969. The Ohlone Community College District has consolidated soil containing pesticides above residential cleanup goals from the northern 31-acres of the Site into a 25-acre consolidation area within the southern 50 acres of the Site. The northern portion of the Site that was cleaned up to residential standards has been developed into a community college. The southern parcel with remain in agricultural use.
DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED ELDER CARE CENTER PROHIBITED HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED LAND USE COVENANT NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED
The Barbary Coast Steel operated a steel manufacturing plant on this site from 1987 to 1991. Judson Steel was a previous owner since 1882. The primary use of the site was storing and melting scrap iron to produce reinforcing bars. IKEA purchased the property and signed Prospective Purchasers Agreement (PPA) with DTSC for future site development. As part of future development IKEA upgraded the cap. The IKEA store opened for business in May 2000. Continue reading “Emeryville CA – IKEA (FORMER BARBARY COAST) (01440005)”→
The site was formerly part of the Judson Steel Corp. founded in 1882. Judson Steel mainly used the site for storage and disposal of slag material. Metals (lead, chromium, etc) were present in the soil and hydrocarbons and volatile organics appear to be migrating via groundwater from surrounding properties. The source of the hydrocarbon contamination in the groundwater is believed to be the former PIE site located to the north. Under the authority allowed by the Polanco Bill, the City of Emeryville Redevelopment Agency granted liability immunity to Marriott Corporation.
ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED WHICH DISTURB THE REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS WITHOUT APPROVAL ASPHALT COVER NOT TO BE DISTURBED WITHOUT APPROVAL DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED ELDER CARE CENTER PROHIBITED HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED LAND USE COVENANT NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL NO OIL OR GAS EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED RAISING OF FOOD PROHIBITED RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SHELLMOUND VENTURE PROJECT (01330039)”→
The history of the site included industrial usage of the various parcels including Elementis Pigments at 4650 Shellmound Street, McKinley Property at 5500 Shellmound Street, and the Sepulveda Property at 5600 Shellmound Street (Shellmound Properties). Since 1929, Elementis Pigments produced iron oxide for paint pigments and other uses. Sherwin Williams owned the McKinley and Sepulveda properties until 1965 and 1955, respectively. Sherwin Williams operated a lime and sulfur plant and an insecticide and spray plant. Other usages included a sign shop, a photo shop, a machine shop, and commercial offices at the McKinley Property. A truck and trailer storage yard and equipment rentals used the Sepulveda property. The southern portion of the site includes the former Myers Drum site which historically was used for drum cleaning and recycling. Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SOUTH BAYFRONT PROJECT (01890019)”→
“Naval Station Treasure Island (NSTI) is located in San Francisco Bay (Bay), midway between San Francisco and Oakland, California. The facility consists of two contiguous islands: Treasure Island (TI), which is approximately 550 acres, and Yerba Buena Island (YBI), which is approximately 550 acres. Stormwater outfalls and offshore sediments (Site 13) encompass approximately 563 additional acres. Treasure Island is a manmade island that is anchored to a natural rock island (YBI), that was constructed of materials dredged from the Bay in 1936. The island was developed to be the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition. In response to a Navy request, in 1941, the City of San Francisco leased TI to the Navy for the duration of World War II. After the war, the city agreed to transfer the deed for TI to the Navy in exchange for government-owned land south of San Francisco where the San Francisco International Airport was later built. TI provided administrative and support facilities for processing Pacific-bound naval personnel, and for the administrative operations of other Navy, Marine Reserves, and non-military Federal activities. Military activities at YBI date back to 1866. In 1993, NSTI was designated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1990. The base was closed on September 30, 1997, and is currently in the transfer process.
In April 1988, a Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection (PA/SI) Report of the facility was prepared for the Naval Energy and Environmental Support Activity (NEESA). Based on information from historical records, aerial photos, agency contacts, field inspection, and personnel interviews, a total of 20 areas were identified with potential contamination and for additional site investigation. These identified acres included: a medical clinic; a former foundry; a boiler plant; an old bunker; stormwater outfalls; a refuse transfer area; a car hobby shop; an oil recovery waste facility; a seaplane maintenance shop; an exchange service station; a hydraulic training school; a painting shop; two storage shed areas; a landfill; and fire training fuel tank releases. During subsequent investigations additional sites were identified that brought the total number of sites to 33. Contaminants include: low-level radioactive waste, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, pesticides, paints, waste oil and fuel, solvents, asbestos, acids, and heavy metals.
Since closure of the base in 1997, nearly all of TI has been leased to the City of San Francisco for a variety of uses including movie production, an elementary school and daycare center, approximately 750 rental housing units, and an Olympic sailing school at Clipper Cove. In addition, 35 acres were transferred to the Federal Department of Labor for the establishment of a job corps center on TI. Portions of YBI were also transferred to the State to facilitate the construction of the new East Bay Bridge. The remainder of the land on YBI is comprised of housing that is controlled by the City of San Francisco and a U.S. Coast Guard Station that occupies the southern half of the island.
EnviroStor includes separate profiles for 13 of the 33 sites that provide the current, ongoing and projected activities for each site. The previous reports and historical documents for these 13 sites were retained in this basewide profile. The 13 sites are: Site 6 – Fire Training School (4.54 acres, EnviroStor # 60001091) Site 8 – Army Point Sludge Disposal Area (3.12 acres, EnviroStor # 60001161) Site 11 – YBI Landfill (2.88 acres, EnviroStor # 60001162) Site 12 – Old Bunker Area (93.2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001092) Site 21 – Vessel Waste Oil Recovery Area (2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001093) Site 24 – Dry Cleaning Facility (20.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001094) Site 27 – Clipper Cove (19.55 acres, EnviroStor # 60001095) Site 28 – West Side On/Off Ramp (10.53 acres, EnviroStor # 60001096) Site 29 – East Side On/Off Ramp (15.13 acres, EnviroStor # 60001164) Site 30 – Day Care Center (1.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001097) Site 31 – Former South Storage Yard (2.02 acres, EnviroStor # 60001098) Site 32 – Former Training and Storage Area (2.6 acres, EnviroStor # 60001099) Site 33 – Water Line Replacement Area (4.89 acres, EnviroStor # 60001100)
“The Site was originally marshland on the margin of the Mission Bay which was filled with dune sands and silt in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s for development. The Site has been used for residences, commercial lodging and parking lots from the 1899 until it was purchased by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency in 1991. ASIAN Inc. has redeveloped the property into affordable housing units and one commercial unit.” Continue reading “SF – 518 MINNA STREET SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103 STATE RESPONSE OR NPL”→