The Barbary Coast Steel operated a steel manufacturing plant on this site from 1987 to 1991. Judson Steel was a previous owner since 1882. The primary use of the site was storing and melting scrap iron to produce reinforcing bars. IKEA purchased the property and signed Prospective Purchasers Agreement (PPA) with DTSC for future site development. As part of future development IKEA upgraded the cap. The IKEA store opened for business in May 2000. Continue reading “Emeryville CA – IKEA (FORMER BARBARY COAST) (01440005)”→
The site was formerly part of the Judson Steel Corp. founded in 1882. Judson Steel mainly used the site for storage and disposal of slag material. Metals (lead, chromium, etc) were present in the soil and hydrocarbons and volatile organics appear to be migrating via groundwater from surrounding properties. The source of the hydrocarbon contamination in the groundwater is believed to be the former PIE site located to the north. Under the authority allowed by the Polanco Bill, the City of Emeryville Redevelopment Agency granted liability immunity to Marriott Corporation.
ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED WHICH DISTURB THE REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS WITHOUT APPROVAL ASPHALT COVER NOT TO BE DISTURBED WITHOUT APPROVAL DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED ELDER CARE CENTER PROHIBITED HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED LAND USE COVENANT NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL NO OIL OR GAS EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED RAISING OF FOOD PROHIBITED RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SHELLMOUND VENTURE PROJECT (01330039)”→
Raychem Corporation (Raychem) operated a facility which manufactured high technology plastic and electrical insulation products and also engaged in management of hazardous waste pursuant to a hazardous waste facility permit (Permit). The Permit, issued in 1983 by the California Department of Health Services, the predecessor of DTSC, allowed operation of a wastewater treatment system, a hazardous waste storage yard and a potassium ferrocyanide tank farm. On January 9, 1997, DTSC approved the closure activities of aboveground portions of these hazardous waste management units. Continue reading “FACEBOOK MENLO PARK WEST CAMPUS (60001437) VOLUNTARY CLEANUP”→
Map of the site is on page “The 22-acre site located at 400 Carolan Avenue, in Burlingame. It is the existing Burlingame High School (built in the late 1910s). DTSC reviewed a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I) and determined that a Preliminary Environmental Assessment (PEA) was required.
A Preliminary Environmental Assessment (PEA, 2003/04) investigated the site for metals, organochlorine pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), total petroleum hydrocarbons, volatile organic compounds and metals. The PEA report identified lead and PCB around the main building, and elevated arsenic in the athletic field. DTSC issued further action for Lead/PCB, and additional investigation for the arsenic.
Supplemental site investigations defined the extent of lead impacted soils and identified elevated levels of arsenic in soils in various areas of the campus. A Removal Action Workplan (RAW) for lead and PCBs was approved for implementation in December 2005 for areas around the main building. The removal began in January 2006 and was completed in June 2007. Financial hardship caused delays in the completion of the removal. Once financial issues were resolved, the District took confirmation samples to confirm clean-up goals were met. Continue reading “BURLINGAME HIGH SCHOOL (41820008) on toxic waste site”→
“Naval Station Treasure Island (NSTI) is located in San Francisco Bay (Bay), midway between San Francisco and Oakland, California. The facility consists of two contiguous islands: Treasure Island (TI), which is approximately 550 acres, and Yerba Buena Island (YBI), which is approximately 550 acres. Stormwater outfalls and offshore sediments (Site 13) encompass approximately 563 additional acres. Treasure Island is a manmade island that is anchored to a natural rock island (YBI), that was constructed of materials dredged from the Bay in 1936. The island was developed to be the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition. In response to a Navy request, in 1941, the City of San Francisco leased TI to the Navy for the duration of World War II. After the war, the city agreed to transfer the deed for TI to the Navy in exchange for government-owned land south of San Francisco where the San Francisco International Airport was later built. TI provided administrative and support facilities for processing Pacific-bound naval personnel, and for the administrative operations of other Navy, Marine Reserves, and non-military Federal activities. Military activities at YBI date back to 1866. In 1993, NSTI was designated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1990. The base was closed on September 30, 1997, and is currently in the transfer process.
In April 1988, a Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection (PA/SI) Report of the facility was prepared for the Naval Energy and Environmental Support Activity (NEESA). Based on information from historical records, aerial photos, agency contacts, field inspection, and personnel interviews, a total of 20 areas were identified with potential contamination and for additional site investigation. These identified acres included: a medical clinic; a former foundry; a boiler plant; an old bunker; stormwater outfalls; a refuse transfer area; a car hobby shop; an oil recovery waste facility; a seaplane maintenance shop; an exchange service station; a hydraulic training school; a painting shop; two storage shed areas; a landfill; and fire training fuel tank releases. During subsequent investigations additional sites were identified that brought the total number of sites to 33. Contaminants include: low-level radioactive waste, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, pesticides, paints, waste oil and fuel, solvents, asbestos, acids, and heavy metals.
Since closure of the base in 1997, nearly all of TI has been leased to the City of San Francisco for a variety of uses including movie production, an elementary school and daycare center, approximately 750 rental housing units, and an Olympic sailing school at Clipper Cove. In addition, 35 acres were transferred to the Federal Department of Labor for the establishment of a job corps center on TI. Portions of YBI were also transferred to the State to facilitate the construction of the new East Bay Bridge. The remainder of the land on YBI is comprised of housing that is controlled by the City of San Francisco and a U.S. Coast Guard Station that occupies the southern half of the island.
EnviroStor includes separate profiles for 13 of the 33 sites that provide the current, ongoing and projected activities for each site. The previous reports and historical documents for these 13 sites were retained in this basewide profile. The 13 sites are: Site 6 – Fire Training School (4.54 acres, EnviroStor # 60001091) Site 8 – Army Point Sludge Disposal Area (3.12 acres, EnviroStor # 60001161) Site 11 – YBI Landfill (2.88 acres, EnviroStor # 60001162) Site 12 – Old Bunker Area (93.2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001092) Site 21 – Vessel Waste Oil Recovery Area (2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001093) Site 24 – Dry Cleaning Facility (20.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001094) Site 27 – Clipper Cove (19.55 acres, EnviroStor # 60001095) Site 28 – West Side On/Off Ramp (10.53 acres, EnviroStor # 60001096) Site 29 – East Side On/Off Ramp (15.13 acres, EnviroStor # 60001164) Site 30 – Day Care Center (1.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001097) Site 31 – Former South Storage Yard (2.02 acres, EnviroStor # 60001098) Site 32 – Former Training and Storage Area (2.6 acres, EnviroStor # 60001099) Site 33 – Water Line Replacement Area (4.89 acres, EnviroStor # 60001100)