The Brentwood Gun Club began operation at the site in 1964. The facility had a trap and skeet field, rifle and pistol ranges, and an air gun range. Prior to that the property was used as a sanitary landfill. Contra Costa County acquired the property in August 1999 in preparation for the construction of the State Route 4 Bypass through the site. A Removal Action Workplan was implemented for consolidation of lead-contaminated soil under the proposed roadway and capping contaminated outside of the freeway footprint with 1-2 feet of clean fill. Some soils that exceeded residential screening levels but were below commercial screening levels for lead were left in place without a cap. A Land Use Covenant was filed with the County Recorder that restricts future usage of the site for residential, child care, or school facilities. Annual inspections are required as part of Operations and Maintenance.
Editors note; this deed restriction is current and yet it is a housing development even though it is prohibited in the land use covenant.
“Naval Station Treasure Island (NSTI) is located in San Francisco Bay (Bay), midway between San Francisco and Oakland, California. The facility consists of two contiguous islands: Treasure Island (TI), which is approximately 550 acres, and Yerba Buena Island (YBI), which is approximately 550 acres. Stormwater outfalls and offshore sediments (Site 13) encompass approximately 563 additional acres. Treasure Island is a manmade island that is anchored to a natural rock island (YBI), that was constructed of materials dredged from the Bay in 1936. The island was developed to be the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition. In response to a Navy request, in 1941, the City of San Francisco leased TI to the Navy for the duration of World War II. After the war, the city agreed to transfer the deed for TI to the Navy in exchange for government-owned land south of San Francisco where the San Francisco International Airport was later built. TI provided administrative and support facilities for processing Pacific-bound naval personnel, and for the administrative operations of other Navy, Marine Reserves, and non-military Federal activities. Military activities at YBI date back to 1866. In 1993, NSTI was designated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1990. The base was closed on September 30, 1997, and is currently in the transfer process.
In April 1988, a Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection (PA/SI) Report of the facility was prepared for the Naval Energy and Environmental Support Activity (NEESA). Based on information from historical records, aerial photos, agency contacts, field inspection, and personnel interviews, a total of 20 areas were identified with potential contamination and for additional site investigation. These identified acres included: a medical clinic; a former foundry; a boiler plant; an old bunker; stormwater outfalls; a refuse transfer area; a car hobby shop; an oil recovery waste facility; a seaplane maintenance shop; an exchange service station; a hydraulic training school; a painting shop; two storage shed areas; a landfill; and fire training fuel tank releases. During subsequent investigations additional sites were identified that brought the total number of sites to 33. Contaminants include: low-level radioactive waste, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, pesticides, paints, waste oil and fuel, solvents, asbestos, acids, and heavy metals.
Since closure of the base in 1997, nearly all of TI has been leased to the City of San Francisco for a variety of uses including movie production, an elementary school and daycare center, approximately 750 rental housing units, and an Olympic sailing school at Clipper Cove. In addition, 35 acres were transferred to the Federal Department of Labor for the establishment of a job corps center on TI. Portions of YBI were also transferred to the State to facilitate the construction of the new East Bay Bridge. The remainder of the land on YBI is comprised of housing that is controlled by the City of San Francisco and a U.S. Coast Guard Station that occupies the southern half of the island.
EnviroStor includes separate profiles for 13 of the 33 sites that provide the current, ongoing and projected activities for each site. The previous reports and historical documents for these 13 sites were retained in this basewide profile. The 13 sites are: Site 6 – Fire Training School (4.54 acres, EnviroStor # 60001091) Site 8 – Army Point Sludge Disposal Area (3.12 acres, EnviroStor # 60001161) Site 11 – YBI Landfill (2.88 acres, EnviroStor # 60001162) Site 12 – Old Bunker Area (93.2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001092) Site 21 – Vessel Waste Oil Recovery Area (2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001093) Site 24 – Dry Cleaning Facility (20.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001094) Site 27 – Clipper Cove (19.55 acres, EnviroStor # 60001095) Site 28 – West Side On/Off Ramp (10.53 acres, EnviroStor # 60001096) Site 29 – East Side On/Off Ramp (15.13 acres, EnviroStor # 60001164) Site 30 – Day Care Center (1.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001097) Site 31 – Former South Storage Yard (2.02 acres, EnviroStor # 60001098) Site 32 – Former Training and Storage Area (2.6 acres, EnviroStor # 60001099) Site 33 – Water Line Replacement Area (4.89 acres, EnviroStor # 60001100)
“The 78,000 square foot site has been developed into a 14-story high-rise residential building with both retail stores and living units on the first floor. The City of San Francisco oversaw the installation of the cap.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.