441 acres of Hercules California is contaminated with Explosives 41 acres of that area were contaminated with TNT and DNT, the rest with Dynamite and Black Powder. The site blew up in 1929 but was rebuilt and continued operations to 1960. The plant was the largest manufacturer of high explosives for World War I used by the Allies in the war. It was the largest source in the world at the time and it was used in World War II.
Munitions plants built bunkers underground to store their production and if there was an explosion the direction of the force would be up instead of spreading across the ground as it did in the Berkeley Explosion which wiped out the glass of San Francisco 8 miles away. But when the EPA came along and cleaned up the site, they only excavated 24 inches down and deemed the site safe enough to build housing on the site which is what we have today. What if this site had the bunkers? Has anyone checked to see if the contamination goes further into the soil?
The Barbary Coast Steel operated a steel manufacturing plant on this site from 1987 to 1991. Judson Steel was a previous owner since 1882. The primary use of the site was storing and melting scrap iron to produce reinforcing bars. IKEA purchased the property and signed Prospective Purchasers Agreement (PPA) with DTSC for future site development. As part of future development IKEA upgraded the cap. The IKEA store opened for business in May 2000. Continue reading “Emeryville CA – IKEA (FORMER BARBARY COAST) (01440005)”→
The Site is the proposed location of a bikeway connecting Maritime Street in Oakland and Shellmound Street in Emeryville. The proposed area was historically used for industrial, commercial or vehicle transportation corridors.
(a) A residence, including any mobile home or factory built housing, constructed or installed for use as residential human habitation. (b) A hospital for humans. (c) A public or private School for persons under 18 years old. (d) A day care center for children
POTENTIAL CONTAMINANTS OF CONCERN
Hazardous substances, including arsenic at 0.39 ppm, mercury at 2.1 ppm, lead at 190 ppm, and total petroleum hydrocarbons (TPHd) at 1,100 ppm remain at the Property above levels acceptable for unrestricted land use.
Note this was cleaned up to this standard which is fine for industrial use.
The site was formerly part of the Judson Steel Corp. founded in 1882. Judson Steel mainly used the site for storage and disposal of slag material. Metals (lead, chromium, etc) were present in the soil and hydrocarbons and volatile organics appear to be migrating via groundwater from surrounding properties. The source of the hydrocarbon contamination in the groundwater is believed to be the former PIE site located to the north. Under the authority allowed by the Polanco Bill, the City of Emeryville Redevelopment Agency granted liability immunity to Marriott Corporation.
ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED WHICH DISTURB THE REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS WITHOUT APPROVAL ASPHALT COVER NOT TO BE DISTURBED WITHOUT APPROVAL DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED ELDER CARE CENTER PROHIBITED HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED LAND USE COVENANT NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL NO OIL OR GAS EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED RAISING OF FOOD PROHIBITED RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SHELLMOUND VENTURE PROJECT (01330039)”→
The history of the site included industrial usage of the various parcels including Elementis Pigments at 4650 Shellmound Street, McKinley Property at 5500 Shellmound Street, and the Sepulveda Property at 5600 Shellmound Street (Shellmound Properties). Since 1929, Elementis Pigments produced iron oxide for paint pigments and other uses. Sherwin Williams owned the McKinley and Sepulveda properties until 1965 and 1955, respectively. Sherwin Williams operated a lime and sulfur plant and an insecticide and spray plant. Other usages included a sign shop, a photo shop, a machine shop, and commercial offices at the McKinley Property. A truck and trailer storage yard and equipment rentals used the Sepulveda property. The southern portion of the site includes the former Myers Drum site which historically was used for drum cleaning and recycling. Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SOUTH BAYFRONT PROJECT (01890019)”→
The Brentwood Gun Club began operation at the site in 1964. The facility had a trap and skeet field, rifle and pistol ranges, and an air gun range. Prior to that the property was used as a sanitary landfill. Contra Costa County acquired the property in August 1999 in preparation for the construction of the State Route 4 Bypass through the site. A Removal Action Workplan was implemented for consolidation of lead-contaminated soil under the proposed roadway and capping contaminated outside of the freeway footprint with 1-2 feet of clean fill. Some soils that exceeded residential screening levels but were below commercial screening levels for lead were left in place without a cap. A Land Use Covenant was filed with the County Recorder that restricts future usage of the site for residential, child care, or school facilities. Annual inspections are required as part of Operations and Maintenance.
Editors note; this deed restriction is current and yet it is a housing development even though it is prohibited in the land use covenant.
“The Site covers approximately 0.9 acre and was used for an orchard and flower growing business. Sequoia Union High School District (SUHSD) purchased the Site and planned for construction of a school facility for a charter school. The construction consisted of classrooms, a gymnasium and paved parking areas. The school campus is an expansion of the adjacent campus at 1010, 1020, 1040 and 1056 Myrtle Street (Site Code 204238) that was cleaned up under DTSC’s oversight in early 2011. In September 2013, SUHSD entered into a voluntary cleanup agreement with DTSC for cleanup of the soil contamination. The Site was cleaned up by soil excavation, capping and offsite disposal. Soil contaminated with arsenic, lead, dieldrin and DDT was excavated from classroom building locations and consolidated in a 0.5-acre area onsite that will be used for parking and gymnasium. Approximately 305 cubic yards of excess contaminated soil that cannot be used onsite was disposed of to a permitted landfill. The Site cleanup and school construction was completed in September 2014.” Continue reading “East Palo Alto – MYRTLE STREET HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUS PHASE 2 (60001925)”→
Map of the site is on page “The 22-acre site located at 400 Carolan Avenue, in Burlingame. It is the existing Burlingame High School (built in the late 1910s). DTSC reviewed a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I) and determined that a Preliminary Environmental Assessment (PEA) was required.
A Preliminary Environmental Assessment (PEA, 2003/04) investigated the site for metals, organochlorine pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), total petroleum hydrocarbons, volatile organic compounds and metals. The PEA report identified lead and PCB around the main building, and elevated arsenic in the athletic field. DTSC issued further action for Lead/PCB, and additional investigation for the arsenic.
Supplemental site investigations defined the extent of lead impacted soils and identified elevated levels of arsenic in soils in various areas of the campus. A Removal Action Workplan (RAW) for lead and PCBs was approved for implementation in December 2005 for areas around the main building. The removal began in January 2006 and was completed in June 2007. Financial hardship caused delays in the completion of the removal. Once financial issues were resolved, the District took confirmation samples to confirm clean-up goals were met. Continue reading “BURLINGAME HIGH SCHOOL (41820008) on toxic waste site”→
“Naval Station Treasure Island (NSTI) is located in San Francisco Bay (Bay), midway between San Francisco and Oakland, California. The facility consists of two contiguous islands: Treasure Island (TI), which is approximately 550 acres, and Yerba Buena Island (YBI), which is approximately 550 acres. Stormwater outfalls and offshore sediments (Site 13) encompass approximately 563 additional acres. Treasure Island is a manmade island that is anchored to a natural rock island (YBI), that was constructed of materials dredged from the Bay in 1936. The island was developed to be the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition. In response to a Navy request, in 1941, the City of San Francisco leased TI to the Navy for the duration of World War II. After the war, the city agreed to transfer the deed for TI to the Navy in exchange for government-owned land south of San Francisco where the San Francisco International Airport was later built. TI provided administrative and support facilities for processing Pacific-bound naval personnel, and for the administrative operations of other Navy, Marine Reserves, and non-military Federal activities. Military activities at YBI date back to 1866. In 1993, NSTI was designated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1990. The base was closed on September 30, 1997, and is currently in the transfer process.
In April 1988, a Preliminary Assessment/Site Inspection (PA/SI) Report of the facility was prepared for the Naval Energy and Environmental Support Activity (NEESA). Based on information from historical records, aerial photos, agency contacts, field inspection, and personnel interviews, a total of 20 areas were identified with potential contamination and for additional site investigation. These identified acres included: a medical clinic; a former foundry; a boiler plant; an old bunker; stormwater outfalls; a refuse transfer area; a car hobby shop; an oil recovery waste facility; a seaplane maintenance shop; an exchange service station; a hydraulic training school; a painting shop; two storage shed areas; a landfill; and fire training fuel tank releases. During subsequent investigations additional sites were identified that brought the total number of sites to 33. Contaminants include: low-level radioactive waste, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxins, pesticides, paints, waste oil and fuel, solvents, asbestos, acids, and heavy metals.
Since closure of the base in 1997, nearly all of TI has been leased to the City of San Francisco for a variety of uses including movie production, an elementary school and daycare center, approximately 750 rental housing units, and an Olympic sailing school at Clipper Cove. In addition, 35 acres were transferred to the Federal Department of Labor for the establishment of a job corps center on TI. Portions of YBI were also transferred to the State to facilitate the construction of the new East Bay Bridge. The remainder of the land on YBI is comprised of housing that is controlled by the City of San Francisco and a U.S. Coast Guard Station that occupies the southern half of the island.
EnviroStor includes separate profiles for 13 of the 33 sites that provide the current, ongoing and projected activities for each site. The previous reports and historical documents for these 13 sites were retained in this basewide profile. The 13 sites are: Site 6 – Fire Training School (4.54 acres, EnviroStor # 60001091) Site 8 – Army Point Sludge Disposal Area (3.12 acres, EnviroStor # 60001161) Site 11 – YBI Landfill (2.88 acres, EnviroStor # 60001162) Site 12 – Old Bunker Area (93.2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001092) Site 21 – Vessel Waste Oil Recovery Area (2 acres, EnviroStor # 60001093) Site 24 – Dry Cleaning Facility (20.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001094) Site 27 – Clipper Cove (19.55 acres, EnviroStor # 60001095) Site 28 – West Side On/Off Ramp (10.53 acres, EnviroStor # 60001096) Site 29 – East Side On/Off Ramp (15.13 acres, EnviroStor # 60001164) Site 30 – Day Care Center (1.46 acres, EnviroStor # 60001097) Site 31 – Former South Storage Yard (2.02 acres, EnviroStor # 60001098) Site 32 – Former Training and Storage Area (2.6 acres, EnviroStor # 60001099) Site 33 – Water Line Replacement Area (4.89 acres, EnviroStor # 60001100)
“The 78,000 square foot site has been developed into a 14-story high-rise residential building with both retail stores and living units on the first floor. The City of San Francisco oversaw the installation of the cap.”