he Site was formerly identified as two properties: 901 Thompson Place and 902 Thompson Place. These properties have been re-developed and now have a single address: 875 East Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, California (see site location map). Land use in this area is primarily industrial and commercial. The 901-902 Thompson Place property was formerly occupied by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) to manufacture integrated semiconductor circuits between 1969 and 1992. Two below-ground acid neutralization system (ANS) tank vaults were located at the northern and southern ends of the 901 and 902 Thompson Place buildings, respectively. The ANS tanks for both 901 and 902 Thompson Place were constructed of coated concrete and were used to contain acidic industrial wastewater that was neutralized by adding caustics before discharging to the sanitary sewer. The wastewater also contained volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Soil and groundwater investigations were conducted by AMD in 1983 and 1984 to assess the impact of releases from both ANS structures. The results of these investigations indicated the presence of VOCs in soil and groundwater samples collected from the area near the ANS structures. Both ANSs and surrounding VOC-affected soils were removed between 1983 and 1992. Groundwater extraction and treatment was conducted from 1983 until December 2002. In situ biological treatment of VOCs in groundwater and saturated soil has been conducted since 2002 and is ongoing.
Soil impacted primarily by VOCs was excavated from source areas ANS-901 and ANS-902 over three separate excavation events. The relatively low VOC concentrations in monitoring wells within the uppermost water bearing zone (approximately 10 to 20 feet bgs), where TCE concentrations have generally been less than 100 g/L down-gradient of the former ANS-901 source area, suggest that no substantial source for TCE exists in unsaturated zone soil at the Site.
The San Francisco Chronicle Site consists of an 80,000 square feet newspaper printing plant with a surrounding asphalt parking area. The Site occupies a 6.25 acre property located at 1901 Cesar Chavez Street (formerly Army Street) in San Francisco. It was occupied in the 1930s by the American Smelting and Refining Company under the Federated Metals Corporation name, Federated-Fry Metals Plant. The facility was used for brass ingot and lead production; materials used included brass and bronze scrap metals, oxide of tin and lead, and pure forms of these materials. Oxides formed during the melting process were taken off in the form of slags and were either recycled or hauled offsite. The property was acquired by the San Francisco Newspaper Agency in 1987. The existing structures on site were demolished and a new printing plant and a surrounding parking area were built at the site. Continue reading “SAN FRANCISCO NEWSPAPER AGENCY (38330104)”→
The site was formerly part of the Judson Steel Corp. founded in 1882. Judson Steel mainly used the site for storage and disposal of slag material. Metals (lead, chromium, etc) were present in the soil and hydrocarbons and volatile organics appear to be migrating via groundwater from surrounding properties. The source of the hydrocarbon contamination in the groundwater is believed to be the former PIE site located to the north. Under the authority allowed by the Polanco Bill, the City of Emeryville Redevelopment Agency granted liability immunity to Marriott Corporation.
ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED WHICH DISTURB THE REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS WITHOUT APPROVAL ASPHALT COVER NOT TO BE DISTURBED WITHOUT APPROVAL DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED ELDER CARE CENTER PROHIBITED HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED LAND USE COVENANT NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL NO OIL OR GAS EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED RAISING OF FOOD PROHIBITED RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SHELLMOUND VENTURE PROJECT (01330039)”→
The history of the site included industrial usage of the various parcels including Elementis Pigments at 4650 Shellmound Street, McKinley Property at 5500 Shellmound Street, and the Sepulveda Property at 5600 Shellmound Street (Shellmound Properties). Since 1929, Elementis Pigments produced iron oxide for paint pigments and other uses. Sherwin Williams owned the McKinley and Sepulveda properties until 1965 and 1955, respectively. Sherwin Williams operated a lime and sulfur plant and an insecticide and spray plant. Other usages included a sign shop, a photo shop, a machine shop, and commercial offices at the McKinley Property. A truck and trailer storage yard and equipment rentals used the Sepulveda property. The southern portion of the site includes the former Myers Drum site which historically was used for drum cleaning and recycling. Continue reading “Emeryville CA – SOUTH BAYFRONT PROJECT (01890019)”→
The Brentwood Gun Club began operation at the site in 1964. The facility had a trap and skeet field, rifle and pistol ranges, and an air gun range. Prior to that the property was used as a sanitary landfill. Contra Costa County acquired the property in August 1999 in preparation for the construction of the State Route 4 Bypass through the site. A Removal Action Workplan was implemented for consolidation of lead-contaminated soil under the proposed roadway and capping contaminated outside of the freeway footprint with 1-2 feet of clean fill. Some soils that exceeded residential screening levels but were below commercial screening levels for lead were left in place without a cap. A Land Use Covenant was filed with the County Recorder that restricts future usage of the site for residential, child care, or school facilities. Annual inspections are required as part of Operations and Maintenance.
Editors note; this deed restriction is current and yet it is a housing development even though it is prohibited in the land use covenant.
Raychem Corporation (Raychem) operated a facility which manufactured high technology plastic and electrical insulation products and also engaged in management of hazardous waste pursuant to a hazardous waste facility permit (Permit). The Permit, issued in 1983 by the California Department of Health Services, the predecessor of DTSC, allowed operation of a wastewater treatment system, a hazardous waste storage yard and a potassium ferrocyanide tank farm. On January 9, 1997, DTSC approved the closure activities of aboveground portions of these hazardous waste management units. Continue reading “FACEBOOK MENLO PARK WEST CAMPUS (60001437) VOLUNTARY CLEANUP”→
“Tyco, previously known as Raychem, is an electronics manufacturer. Raychem had a hazardous waste facility permit and closed its hazardous waste management units at this site. DTSC has been overseeing corrective action at Tyco under a corrective action consent agreement. The main contaminant is PCBs. Soil removal was completed to industrial levels. A land use covenant has been entered into and filed with County. Tyco is currently conducting long term groundwater monitoring.”
ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED WHICH DISTURB THE REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS WITHOUT APPROVAL
DAY CARE CENTER PROHIBITED
HOSPITAL USE PROHIBITED
LAND USE COVENANT
MAINTAIN MONITORING OF GROUNDWATER
NO EXCAVATION OF CONTAMINATED SOILS WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL
NO EXCAVATION OR ACTIVITIES WHICH DISTURB THE SOIL BELOW A SPECIFIED DEPTH (SEE COVENANT FOR DEPTH) WITHOUT AGENCY REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF A SOIL MANAGEMENT PLAN
NO GROUNDWATER EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH WITHOUT APPROVAL
NO OIL OR GAS EXTRACTION AT ANY DEPTH
NOTIFY AFTER CHANGE OF PROPERTY OWNER
NOTIFY DAMAGES TO REMEDY AND MONITORING SYSTEMS UPON DISCOVERY
NOTIFY PRIOR TO CHANGE IN LAND USE
NOTIFY PRIOR TO DEVELOPMENT
NOTIFY PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK
ONLY EXTRACTION OF GROUNDWATER FOR SITE REMEDIATION PERMITTED
PERFORM H&S PLAN PRIOR TO SUBSURFACE WORK
PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SCHOOL FOR PERSONS UNDER 21 PROHIBITED
RAISING OF FOOD PROHIBITED
RESIDENCE USE PROHIBITED
POTENTIAL CONTAMINANTS OF CONCERN
As a result of historical operations at the Property, certain hazardous materials, including volatile organic compounds, semi-volatile organic compounds, PCBs, dioxins and dibenzofurans were released into the soil and groundwater at the Property.
“The Site was originally marshland on the margin of the Mission Bay which was filled with dune sands and silt in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s for development. The Site has been used for residences, commercial lodging and parking lots from the 1899 until it was purchased by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency in 1991. ASIAN Inc. has redeveloped the property into affordable housing units and one commercial unit.” Continue reading “SF – 518 MINNA STREET SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103 STATE RESPONSE OR NPL”→